Monday, July 21, 2014

Custom Cookie Cutters


I can't count the number of times I've seen a cookie that has a unique shape and I have no idea where to buy it.  Or worse, they tell you where to buy it and it is outrageously priced.  Or sometimes I need a shape for a special occasion and I know that nobody makes anything even close.  Well, I found the solution and it has been an exciting process.

I had heard a lot about 3D printing but since the machines are still pretty expensive I didn't think it was something that was available to me.  It turns out that the Frisco Library had just got one in June. It's a Makerbot Replicator 2, as shown below.  I figured that if I could learn the software, I could make any cutter that I could dream up.


The first application I tried was called Cookie Caster.  It's online, free, easy to learn, and you can see other peoples' work in the gallery.  One of the first few times you bring up the site it will ask you if you want to see the tutorial.  This will show you everything you need to know.  If you don't see the tutorial at first, close your browser and reload the page until you get it.  

There are a few options for creating a design.  You can create your own design from scratch or upload an image and use the Magic Trace tool. You can also search the web from the app to find an image online to trace.  My experience is that creating your own design works best.  Your mileage may vary.  

When you're finished with your design, select the size of cutter you want (I like 4"), let the height default to .65, and set the thickness to .5 (tiny).  Click Download 3D File and it will create the .stl file in your Downloads folder. 


The second method I found involves two tools.  First, Inkscape is used to create the top part of the cutter where you hold it, and the actual cutting piece which is perpendicular to the handle.  These two pieces are created in separate files.  Then Tinkercad is used to combine the files from Inkscape, specify exact sizes, and export the .stl file.  This method gives you much more control over your cutter, but I am still perfecting my technique to say the least.  Both Inkscape and Tinkercad are free. Tinkercad has you create an account.

If you want to learn more about this process, go to YouTube and search on "Create a 3D printable cookie cutter with Inkscape and Tinkercad."  If you would like a simplified version of this, let me know and I will make one.


While the previous tutorial is good, it assumes you are already familiar with the applications.  I found a great set of tutorials that will help you feel more comfortable getting around in Inkscape.  Google "Inkscape tutorials for beginners part."  They will look like the screen shot below.  Tinkercad has its own tutorials within the app, and they are very good.  


As an example, I made this line drawing completely freehand with the pencil tool in Inkscape. First I saved it as FlowerStart.svg.


Next I duplicated my design using Ctl-D.  With the top layer selected, I chose Path, Inset, from the menu.  This shrinks the design on the top layer just a little bit. Then with both layers selected I chose Path, Difference.  Then I saved the file as FlowerCutter.svg as this represents the part that actually cuts through the dough.  It's hard to see in the screenshot below, but there is a narrow bit of blue between the two black lines.


Then to make the top part of the cutter, the part that you hold on to, I reopened FlowerStart.svg again, duplicated it using Ctl-D, then with the top layer selected I chose Path, Insert, 3 times.  Next, with the bottom layer selected, I chose Path, Outset, 3 times.  Then with both layers selected I chose Path, Difference.  I then saved the file as FlowerHolder.svg.  


Finally I opened Tinkercad.  First I imported FlowerHolder.svg specifying a 2mm height, and then I imported FlowerCutter.svg specifying a .85 height.  You will want to create the cutter upside-down like this so that the printer can make the base first.  Drag in the Ruler tool so you can see how big your cutter will be.  Adjust if necessary.  With both parts selected click on Group, which is on the top right side of the window. In the Design menu you can save your design and export it for printing. 


Whichever way you get your .stl file, put it on a jump drive...


...and drive to the Frisco Library.  Go to the Ask Us desk on the first floor and let them copy your files.  You will need to fill out a form with your name and email address.  They will give you the price (pay at pick up) and a rough estimate on when you can expect it to be done.


This is their flier for the 3D printer.  On the back they mention some additional CAD tools you might want to check out.  (123D Autodesk Design, FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, and Blender.)


A few days later you will receive an email saying you can come pick up your cutters.  Cost is calculated by weight, and mine are usually about $1 each.  Pay at the main desk.


I used my Favorite Sugar Cookies recipe to try them out.  Press down carefully as the cutting edge is only .5 mm wide.


It is important that your cutting edge is very thin so that it will cut the dough instead of smash it.


The great thing about this recipe is how well the cookies keep their shape.


Then make some icing using this post.  Outline the cookies using piping consistency.


Fill in using flooding consistency and let dry for a couple of hours.


I find these edible markers by Wilton very helpful in laying out the basics of my decorations. Just a few dots can be very helpful as a guide.  For my bouquet cookies I marked the top and bottom of the stems, and a basic outline for the flowers. 


Below are some of the cutters I've made using the 3D printer at the Frisco Library.



This is the logo for the company where I work.


Below are some issues I have run into making cutters.  I seem to learn something new with every one I make.

This first picture shows a cutter where the edge was too thin.  I could bend it by pushing on it with my finger.  This one was made with CookieCaster at .5 thickness so I may have had better luck making it 1mm.


Some of my cutters had an opening along the cutting edge.  Dough will get caught up in here will be impossible to clean out.  This one was made on CookieCaster at 2mm thickness.  I'm trying to find the perfect thickness for the cutting edge but haven't yet, but .5mm has been the best so far.


This cutter was made in Inkscape and Tinkercad, and is supposed to read LNFP8.  What I learned this time is that if you're going to be reading letters, flip it upside down in Tinkercad or your letters will come out backwards.  My solution was to cut them backwards and flip the dough.  If I were going to be making a lot of these I would remake the cutter.



I had a really great time learning how to make these cutters on the 3D printer.  I hope you will try making some too.










5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great post. I have been printing from Cookiecaster.com and have gotten the splitting also. I am going to try Tinkercad. I do like using images that I have uploaded onto Cookiecaster.com. Do you think I could use those stl files I created and import into Tinkercad? I don't like drawing:). Thank you for your help. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also did you still get the splitting in the cutters when you made your cutters with Tinkercad? Thanks. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy. Great to hear from you. This post is from before I got my method nailed down. I now export from CookieCaster a "very thin" width cutter to an .stl file and then import it at 120% into Tinkercad. Measurements in Tinkercad are much more precise. I don't get splits when I do it this way. Check out this newer post for details. http://jilltakesthecake.blogspot.com/2014/09/3-d-printer-cookie-cutters-simplified.html. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things4Thinkers makes custom cookie cutters for any occasion. We can do cookie cutters, fondant molds, cake toppers, and a lot more. Birthday packages available.

    ReplyDelete